Chef Vikram Vij and Eat Up Canada are excited to announce the grand opening of Canada’s first Bombay Frankies location in East Gwillimbury/Newmarket, Ontario, on Tuesday, October 18, 2022.
The new 1,500 square foot, 30-seat space will be home to the chef-inspired, fast casual dining concept built around the frankie roll (a very popular Indian street food with its roots in the city formerly known as Bombay – now Mumbai).
To put it simply, a frankie roll is a handheld, burrito-style flatbread wrap called a paratha, filled with meat or vegetables and Indian spices and sauces.
“Whenever I enjoy a frankie roll, my mind is transported back to my childhood in Bombay, India,” says Chef Vikram Vij. “To those who know and love the frankie roll, Bombay Frankies promises those familiar, ‘back home’ flavours. For those new to the frankie roll, I am certain they’ll fall immediately in love with it.”
Vij, a famed restaurateur, cookbook author and TV personality, oversaw development and testing of the Bombay Frankie menu, inputting his unique spin on some of his favourite frankie roll flavour combinations.
The paratha is made in-house, and Vij adds, “all of our meats, veggies and sauces are marinated and seasoned with my special spice blends, including our signature BF Masala.”
Bombay Frankies features a variety of meat and vegetarian frankie options, plus frankie bowls, salads, side items, drinks and desserts.
- The menu has three meat and five vegetarian frankie
- rolls ranging from $8.99 to 9.99 (add ons are extra).
- The BF Masala Marinated Chicken and Achari Potato
- Frankie Rolls are expected to be two of the most popular items.
- Frankie roll combos are paired with a beverage and
- the Naughty & Tangy Masala Chips with Mint Chutney. Or, upgrade to include pakoras, samosas or the BF Lentil and Chickpea Salad.
- Guests can turn any frankie roll into a bowl on basmati rice or a salad on romaine lettuce. or a bowl on basmati rice.
- Vij has also included dessert options such as Mango Kulfi
- Guests can also purchase a selection of Vij’s own masalas and spice powders to bring the flavours of India home, in addition to Bombay Frankies branded merchandise.
“With Bombay Frankies, the goal was to ensure maximum taste, with the freshest ingredients, while also keeping menu items at an affordable price, “ says Alex Gerzon, co-founder of Eat Up Canada. “All frankie rolls on our menu are under $10. That was very important to us.”
Since announcing the opening of the first Bombay Frankies location, Eat Up Canada has received numerous inquiries regarding franchising opportunities, and there are already plans for four to six new restaurants in 2023 in the GTA.
“We are looking for like-minded, ‘guest and team’ focused individuals or groups looking to bring Bombay Frankies to the masses and make the frankie roll the next big dining movement,” says George Heos, co-founder, Eat Up Canada.
Find the full menu, hours of operation, and online ordering by visiting bombayfrankies.ca [site launching soon].
Follow Bombay Frankies on IG: @bombayfrankiescanada; Facebook: @bombayfrankies; TikTok: @bombayfrankies
Hours of operation as of Tuesday, October 18 are Sunday to Thursday, 11 am to 9 pm: and Friday and Saturday, 11 am to 10 pm.
Coming soon – Watch for the launch of the Bombay Frankies Ordering App which will feature a loyalty program.
As Chef Vij would say, “Namaste and enjoy.”